If you are new to this blog . . .

If you are new to this blog you may want to check out the post on putting together a food storage meal plan so you can better understand how this blog is organized.

Thursday, April 14, 2011

72-hour Survival Kits


After the devastation in Japan due to the earthquake, I have felt the need to focus on our 72-hour survival kits for our ward. The plan is to have these completed by June. I wondered as I was glued to the news, if I was prepared. Would I be ready to evacuate at a moment's notice? I am proud to say I have 72-hour kits for my family that hang in our garage in large backpacks with everyone's name on them!! However, as I look at them now I see my daughter's, who has now been married for 6  years and I am trying to remember how long before she got married that I put our 72-hour survival kits together. I believe she may have been 12 years old. She is now 26 years old... I don't know.... you do the math. I am not thrilled about what I may find in them and less thrilled to have to eat any of it! So, here is a reminder for what is needed when it comes to your 72-hour survival kit.

Grab and Go:
72-hour kits are really designed as a grab and go in the event that your house is inhabitable, or if you need to quickly move  to a new location. This kit will provide everything you need to take care of yourself until help arrives.

Each family member should know where these kits are located and should be easily accessible.

Each kit should be designed for each family member and contain what the person can carry themselves (excluding very small children of course).

Remember:
1. Your kit should be in a portable container, near an exit.
2. Do not overload kits. You may have to carry them some distance.
3. Each family member should have their own kit with food , water and clothing. Distribute heavy items between kits.
4. Enclose extra clothing, matches, personal documents and other items that could be damaged by water or smoke in plastic to protect them.
5. Personalize your kit: Make sure you fill the needs of each family member. Consider the needs of babies, elderly, as well as those with handicaps or special needs.
6. Inspect your kits at least twice a year. Rotate food and water. Check clothing for proper fit. Check expiration dates on the batteries, light sticks, warm packs, food and water.

These are just a few ideas to help with you 72-hour survival kits. I encourage all to take an inventory of what you have and be more prepared. If you are just getting started, talk to your Provident Leader in your ward and organize an evening to focus on building 72-hour survival kits.
Remember "...in this there is safety; in this there is peace"

Heidi Roark
Bristol Heights Ward

No comments:

Post a Comment