If you are new to this blog . . .

If you are new to this blog you may want to check out the post on putting together a food storage meal plan so you can better understand how this blog is organized.

Friday, May 2, 2014

Southwest Black Bean Pasta Salad




Spring is here and summer is just around the corner! That means gardens will be growing soon. I love salads - potlucks through the summer are my favorite since there are usually so many salads to choose from. It is no surprise to my family to have a salad of some kind on the menu most nights during the summer. Many times, I let it be the main dish. 

Since we eat lots of salads, I like to have a lot of recipes to rotate through. Here is a new favorite! It will make great use of your salsa garden ingredients. I took some of our favorite homemade salsa ingredients and stirred them together with pasta then I created a dressing to compliment all the flavors. I took it to the first potluck of the season and had many requests for the recipe. I hope your family and friends enjoy it as much as mine do.


Southwest Black Bean Pasta Salad

Ingredients:
8 oz salad pasta of your choice, cooked
2–3 large tomatoes, chopped
½ cup chopped green onion
½ cup chopped green pepper
3 cups cooked black beans
1 ½ cups frozen corn, thawed

Dressing:
¼ cup lemon or lime juice
¼ cup vegetable oil
4–5 Tbsp chopped cilantro
1–2 tsp minced garlic
⅛ tsp cayenne pepper
⅛ tsp cumin
Salt to taste


Combine pasta, tomatoes, green onions, green pepper, and black beans in a large bowl.  In a small bowl, combine the dressing ingredients. Drizzle over salad and toss to combine before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment