If you are new to this blog . . .

If you are new to this blog you may want to check out the post on putting together a food storage meal plan so you can better understand how this blog is organized.

Saturday, September 17, 2011

Loving the Harvest











I'm behind in getting posts written for this blog because it is harvest time around here. I have learned to love the harvest! This is the time of year when all the hard work of planting and caring for a garden pays off.



People have been very generous this year. Since others know that I am willing to go to the work of preserving the fruits and vegetables, they are kind to offer to share their abundance. We have picked apples, plums, blackberries, nectarines, and zucchini this year. I've also driven out to the orchards and picked up peaches and pears.

With the help of my extended family, we canned 228 quarts of applesauce and juice! I've also done 7 dozen jars of peaches and so far I have done 4 dozen jars of pears. I have 4 more dozen to go before I'm done. I've  done about 20 batches of freezer jam and lots and lots of fruit rolls. Salsa is half done and the ingredients are all waiting in the freezer for me to harvest enough tomatoes to finish the batch. Our family is more than set with our year supply of fruit to pull us through until next year's harvest! It feels so good to have the shelves in the storage room and freezer full again.




The fruit is so pretty in the jars and it tastes heavenly! I realize that it is a bit of work to get it all done, but I work extra hard for about 5 days and then have it set to go for the rest of year. I am teaching my kids important principles at the same time. Those lessons are priceless!

No comments:

Post a Comment