If you are new to this blog . . .

If you are new to this blog you may want to check out the post on putting together a food storage meal plan so you can better understand how this blog is organized.

Monday, March 28, 2011

Use Your Food Storage Daily

There are some who are of the opinion that once they have purchased food storage, they want to keep it perfectly hidden away until a major crisis hits. I have a different opinion. After living through some challenging times and needing to pull from my food storage, I have learned that in order for me to know how to cook with what I have at the house and for my kids to be ready to eat what I can cook I really need to be cooking with storable items on a regular basis.

I really appreciate the recent counsel we have received from the First Presidency. They have asked us to store 3 month's worth of what we eat on a normal basis. The key word is normal. If your family normally eats frozen lasagna, canned soups, macaroni and cheese, etc. these are the items you need to be storing at your house.

Your food storage does not need to look like anyone else's. We all eat and cook differently and we need to realize that this means we need to store different items.

If a true crisis hit, you would find comfort in being able to serve what your family normally expects for meals. If you have never served oatmeal for breakfast and all of a sudden that is all you have, you will hear lots of complaining from everyone which won't help the stress levels any.

This is the motivation behind putting together a food storage meal plan that fits your family's tastes and your cooking abilities. Hopefully, you feel like you are getting a great start on your breakfast ideas with the posts I have done this month. I also hope you are beginning to think more about what you could serve for lunch and dinner. Remember that all you need to do is come up with 14 day's of meals and then store enough ingredients to make these meals 6 times to have enough for 3 months.

You can do it -

No comments:

Post a Comment